Survey of Eastern Literature

5.11.2006

The Analects - Confucius


Confucius believed that study was the path to enlightenment, that men weren't merely inspired by truth, but could find truth in the classics. His urges to return to the five classics of Chinese literature echo the Western study of Plato and Cicero. Confucius believed that study was the final step towards righteousness, for the man who applies himself to study exhibits gravity, respectfulness, and the sincere desire to grow. Study grounds man in wisdom discovered by the greatest minds of the past and proven by the critical eyes of generations.

"The master said, 'At fifteen I set my heart upon learning. At thirty, I had planted my feet firm upon the ground. At forty, I no longer suffered from perplexities. At fifty, I knew what were the biddings of Heaven. At sixty, I heard them with docile ear. At seventy, I could follow the dictates of my own heart; for what I desire no longer overstepped the boundaries of right." (III, 4)

Confucius placed a great deal of importance on social duty. The Analects abound with instruction in ritual and etiquette. Correct practice of rituals is a man's gravest responsibility--this is a sacrifice to the community. The ritual itself is not the end which Confucius desires; he wants members of the community to shed their individualism.

Confucius' ideals are exclusively concerned with earthly existence--he instructs his students on how to behave towards their fellow men. He doesn't speak of spirituality or question the afterlife. His mission is to reform men on earth. I'm not certain whether there was simply no questioning the truth of the generally accepted religion at his time, or whether Confucius believed, as I suspect, that the rules and rites of a religion were not as important as the final achievement: a happy soul and productive citizen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home